Monday 13 April 2009

Last Will and Testament

I managed to find a will for my most distant (in chronological terms) relative, my ggggg grandfather (there's probably a g too many their) - anyway - it seems that not only did he posess wealth but also property.

Several tennements in Huddersfield that were left to a James Brook to hold in trust on behalf of John Mellor, a clothdresser in Huddersfield, who died in 1812. The cottages (as they were variously described) were in the tenure of William Charters and Abraham Linnie at the time of his death.

Some relatives were left out of the will, and there is always the chance that some of the ascribed children are have been incorrectly so attributed. There is no doubt about the lineage of many of the offspring, who were very much involved with the luddites and their cause.

The will was obtained from the Borthwick Institute in York. They can be invaluable in helping with your search, but you may need to trawl through many indexes before you find anything at all....

1 comment:

  1. Wondering if you are still out there Cassa. It looks like I'm 11 years to late. I'm crossing my fingers you'll respond.

    ReplyDelete